Sunday 26 January 2014

I could always try a Chain Chomp with my boning skills…



An early thought about the island was to have it chained down, it adds an allure of mysticism to have giant chains heading down into the abyss, never knowing how the chains were placed there nor where they go. This meant working out how to do them, initially the chains were just made from Torus’ scaled to make a chain segment then the piece was copied, rotated and placed as the next link. Repeating the copy multiple times could give any length of chain desired. 


Although this basic chain would have met the design desired and been perfectly functional, I sought something more to the chains, although initially I couldn’t quite work out what. Whilst still trying to work out the chain design I ended up experiencing a newly redesigned map for a game called Smite. Within the new map chains holding hounds of Hel were present and other chains heading off into the sky were also around. This chain design leapt out as incredible and I thought I would have a go at replicating the chain in order to use it for our island. 


The first thing was to work out the shape needed, this was relatively simple as it was a case of just drawing up a 2D image of the chains front and side from the 3D footage I had taken as reference material. Once the 2D images were complete I was able to use my Corel Draw skills to draw up the lines needed, in order to transfer them into 3Ds Max as splines. With the spline I tried multiple different ways to make them 3D unfortunately a lot of these attempts failed. A simple extrude wasn’t enough as it made a very square chain and it looked ghastly. Trying to move the centre also proved tricky as it never really connected to the outer edge making manipulation equate to overlapping planes. Eventually I ended up just moving individual points up and down in order to get a nice angled shape. Once that had been done symmetry was put in place so that the other side matched up and finally the chain piece came together and looked rather good, being fairly accurate to the original source.


As a little extra and suitable justification for the chains to be attached to the island a small spike was crafted that would go through the end chain nearest the island and look as though it was jabbing into the underside of the island.


When the chain was complete, each piece copied into its appropriate place, it was decided that a little motion in the chains would make them look more dynamic and as if they were swaying in the winds surrounding the island. In order to get this motion I utilised bones and thus the skin modifier. The bones were simply laid out to match the position of the chain then with all the chain links having been attached to make a single object a skin modifier was put onto them. With the bones now controlling the movement of the chain, I auto-keyed a simple waving motion which unfortunately proved too wavy, and looked unnatural. My second attempt I kept more minimal for the motion and it looked a lot better. Once that motion was complete I created a second boned chain and performed a similar auto-key to that. With two chains complete and four desired I chose to utilise a symmetry modifier in order to make the task easier and quicker.

A video displaying the original source of the chain design and my own attempt:

 

The original chain, functional, acceptable...just a bit meh...

Drawn up in Corel Draw the initial chain shape was created

With the right amount of fiddling the chain took shape and provided a unique (albeit unique to Smite) look to the chains


No comments:

Post a Comment